BIF Foundation for basic medical research | PhD fellowships
The Boehringer Ingelheim Fonds (BIF) awards long-term PhD fellowships worldwide. The program supports outstanding junior scientists who wish to pursue an ambitious PhD project in basic biomedical research in an internationally leading laboratory.
Funding: € 3’400 / month + travel support + family support
Duration: 2 years (extension to 3.5 years possible)
Eligibility: Fellowships are available to European citizens working in Europe or overseas and to non-European citizens pursuing their PhD projects in Europe. The PhD projects must be experimental, in the field of basic biomedical research, and aimed at elucidating basic biological phenomena of human life and acquiring new scientific knowledge. In addition, at the deadline:
- Your first university entrance qualification (secondary or high school leaving certificate, A-levels, or entrance/access test for first university studies after finishing school) must not have been completed more than 8 years, i.e. 96 months ago.
- You should apply when you are about to start, or have just started, your PhD project, no preliminary results are expected. If you have begun your project more than six months prior to the deadline, you are no longer eligible to apply.
How to Apply: The application consists of an application form on the online portal and letter(s) of recommendation emailed directly from the applicant’s supervisors. The application must be written in English by the applicants themselves. Applications undergo a two-step, peer-review selection process. First-stage notifications are sent out about six weeks after the deadline. For selected applicants, in the second phase each application is additionally evaluated by an external expert and the applicant is interviewed by a member of the BIF's staff.
Deadlines: 1 February, 1 June, 1 October every year
- More information about the program is available here
- The application portal can be found here
- For any other questions, please contact the Research Office