Conferences - Seminars
IEEE Technical Writing Workshop by IBM Research
By Lilli-Marie Pavka has been Webmaster at IBM Research - Zurich since 2003 and holds an SIZ degree in Web Publishing. Her work includes database design on the Lotus Notes Domino Designer platform. She joined IBM in 1988 as manager of the now defunct Publications group, a comprehensive manuscript copyediting and processing support service. Lilli has developed a Technical Writing Workshop tailored specifically to the scientific and technical English-language writing needs of her IBM Research colleagues. She gives this workshop at the IBM Research - Zurich Lab twice a year and on request. Contact her directly for scheduling details. She is currently preparing an online version to be video-broadcast to other IBM Research locations. Prior to joining IBM in 1988, Lilli was an English-language copyeditor for scientific and technical manuscripts at the Institute of Aeroelasticity of the German Aerospace Research Establishment (DLR) in Göttingen, Germany, from 1979-1988.
Have you ever thought about enhancing your writing skills? The IEEE Switzerland Section would like to propose to review your Technical Writing skills.
On the 27th of September 2018 from 9:30 to 13:00, a Technical Writing Workshop reviewing the famous "Top Ten" most common errors :
- 09:00 – 09:15 : Welcome coffee
- 09:15 – 09:30 : Introduction
- 09:30 – 10:45 : First session (Nomalization, Wordiness, Redundancies, Qualitative vs Quantitative, Dangling participles)
- 10:45 – 11:00 : Coffee break
- 11:00 – 12:45 : Second session (Allows to, Parallel constructions, Which vs that, Ambiguities, Miscellaneous)
- 12:45 – 13:00 : Attendance certificate distribution
- 13:00 – 14:00 : Small catering and coffee break
- 14:00 – 18:00 : [New in 2018] Optional afternoon session: Complete worksheets, one-on-one discussions (bring sample of own writing)
Catering has been organized.
Some Novelty in 2018, bring your sample writting and discuss, complete the worksheets.
The workshop will be given by Lilli-Marie Pavka, a native English speaker, experienced copyeditor of scientific and technical manuscripts, instructor of Cambridge business English courses and webmaster at the IBM Research - Zurich Laboratory.
This workshop has a limited audience of 25 people, on a first-come, first-served basis, so please register as soon as possible.
Contact Mathieu Coustans
Accessibility Informed public
Admittance Registration required
This event is internal