[ Novartis Forschungsstiftung – FreeNovation | Research funding on biomedical research ]
The Novartis Research Foundation (Novartis Forschungsstiftung) has just launched the 2021 FreeNovation thematic call for biomedical research projects. Up to 15 projects will be supported with maximum CHF 180’000 for 18 months.
The fields accepted for the 2021 call are:
- Lipid therapeutics and signaling
- Collagen: Homeostasis and dysregulation in disease
- Bacteria as drugs
For further information on the 2021 fields, have a look at the “call announcement” document in the EPFL Toolkit.
- Relate to biomedical research with the ultimate aim to provide innovative healthcare solutions for patients.
- Be unconventional and radical, with the potential to open up novel research directions and aiming beyond incremental innovation and discovery.
- Be particularly original and hard to fund by conventional funding programs due to the “unorthodox” character of the idea or absence of a long-standing academic reputation held by the researchers.
- NOT include commercial activities nor be influenced by commercial interests.
Interdisciplinary research often has a higher chance of funding.
Results from preliminary studies are NOT a prerequisite. Risk-taking is encouraged.
Who can apply:
- PhD or equivalent qualification
- Employed at a reputable healthcare or healthcare-related organization, incl. university, university hospital or university of applied science in Switzerland throughout the duration of the grant.
- Max. 2 applicants → co-applicants may together submit a single proposal. Alternatively, they can submit two proposals, but tag them as connected (although connected proposals will be reviewed separately, the benefits of the collaboration will be factored into the evaluation).
Funding & Duration: Max. CHF 180’000 for up to 18 months
- Please fill out the Institutional Support Letter template available in the EPFL Toolkit, have it signed by the Dean and, if applicable, by the Director of the Institute and the Head of Unit, and send it to [email protected] by 6 April 2021 for the institutional signature.
- Call Deadline: 17 April 2021 -> submit your proposal by 23:59 CET via FreeNovation online application portal.
Proposals will be reviewed anonymously to encourage young scientists and unconventional ideas by an international review committee chaired by Prof. Gerd Folkers (ETHZ) with 6 academic and 3 Novartis scientists, who are experts in the field. Decisions will be communicated in mid July 2021.
For further information, please have a look at the call webpage (in French or German), call description (in English), submission portal, call guidelines and the EPFL Toolkit.