Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences - Young Talents in Clinical Research
|Category||Call for proposal|
With the «Young Talents in Clinical Research» program, the Swiss Academy of Medical Sciences (SAMS) and the Gottfried and Julia Bangerter-Rhyner Foundation aim at encouraging young medical doctors to venture into clinical research by funding «protected time for research» and «project grants» at a clinic in Switzerland.
Research fields eligible for support: Clinical research includes quality-controlled scientific investigations on human physiology, pathophysiology or disease; epidemiologic and behavioral studies; outcomes or health services research; studies on the development of new technologies; and clinical trials. Basic research is NOT eligible.
- You must first apply for a Beginner grant: it finances «protected research time» with max. CHF 75’000 for 12-24 months (2/3 as a grant and 1/3 as an interest-free loan).
- Subsequently, you can apply for a Project grant: it finances a consecutive research project with max. CHF 80’000 for up to 24 months.
Who can apply:
- Beginner grant: Assistant doctors working in Switzerland having obtained their medical degree no more than five years before the submission deadline, and who have not been involved in clinical research except during their undergraduate medical studies and/or during their MD thesis.
- Project grant: subsequently, Beginner grant grantees can apply for a Project grant, provided that they have obtained their medical degree no more than 8 years before the submission deadline.
- Applicants enrolled in a PhD or MD-PhD in clinical research are NOT eligible.
- Exceptions to the eligibility window are possible in justified cases.
- You cannot apply and you cannot hold the Beginner and the Project grants at the same time.
- Recipients of other types of grants or fellowships are not eligible to apply for project funding.
- Beginner grant: covers the applicant’s salary, but no consumables and equipment.
- Project grant: covers consumables and equipment, but no applicant’s salary.
Deadline: 30 June 2023
Earliest start: 1 January 2024
Latest start: 1 January 2025
- Fill out the online application form following the guidelines and FAQ (incl. evaluation criteria).
- Join a budget specifying the percentage of your salary reserved for research.
- Join letters of support from an experienced mentor at the host clinic and from the department responsible, following the FAQ.
- The complete list of attachments is available in the application form.
For more information, please have a look at the call webpage and at past successful grantees.