[ Synapsis Foundation | Research funding on neurodegenerative disorders ]
Established in Zurich in 2003, the Synapsis Foundation – Alzheimer Research Switzerland ARS supports research on Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders to find a cure in the near future, to raise awareness and to promote Switzerland as a research and economic centre.
In particular, the foundation promotes innovative basic and clinical research on Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders, welcoming high-risk proposals based on sound science and truly original ideas related to the following topics:
- Research in genetics, molecular and cell biology of Alzheimer’s disease or neurodegenerative disorders.
- Innovative clinical approaches towards the pre-symptomatic diagnosis or therapeutic interventions in neurodegenerative diseases.
Every year, the foundation launches two calls for proposals:
- RESEARCH GRANT FOR PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATORS
- The aim of this grant is to promote innovative research projects of established research groups.
- Who can apply: independent principal investigators at Swiss universities and research institutions.
- Funding & Duration: max. CHF 300’000 for up to 3 years.
- Eligible costs: personnel (excl. the PI’s salary) and research-related costs. Does NOT cover overheads.
- Application: please have a look at the call guidelines and application form (max. 8 pages).
- CAREER DEVELOPMENT AWARD
- The aim of this grant is to accelerate the transition of advanced postdoctoral researchers at Swiss universities and research institutions to a faculty position in Switzerland or other EMBO country.
- Funding & Duration: CHF 400’000 for 4 years → Phase 1: 1-2 years of PostDoc in a host laboratory in Switzerland; Phase 2: 2-3 years in a faculty/group leader position at a new institution/department in Switzerland or EMBO country.
- Eligible costs: personnel (incl. the PI’s salary only for phase 1) and research-related costs. Does NOT cover overheads.
- Application: please have a look at the call guidelines and application form (max. 5 pages, excl. letter of support from head of unit).
DEADLINE: 12 July 2020
Evaluation by the foundation’s Scientific Advisory Board.
Decision by the Board of Trustees by 17 December 2020.
Start of the project: January-March 2021.
For further information, please have a look at the call webpage and at the list of projects supported.