[ H&M Foundation - Global Change Award 2020 | Research funding ]
Every year, the H&M Foundation launches a call for new and early stage ideas presenting new circular approaches intended to reinvent the fashion industry.
Five winners are selected each year and get to share 1 million euro. The winners will also embark on a one-year Innovation Accelerator Program taking them to Stockholm, New York and Hong Kong. In the accelerator, H&M Foundation, Accenture and the KTH Royal Institute of Technology will support the winners in taking their ideas to the next level, with guidance on how to scale up quickly and maximize their impact on the industry.
This year, the Global Change Award seeks innovations in the following three themes, all of them addressing the urgency for fashion to operate within the planetary boundaries:
- Consumer-Centric – innovations empowering consumers to be part of the solution and creating a sustainable fashion future, ranging from how to increase a garment’s lifetime to nudging greener actions.
- Digital & Data – innovations using technology and data in creative ways that will make fashion smarter by significantly reducing the environmental impact of fashion.
- Circular Design – innovations spanning over the whole ecosystem of fashion across all touchpoints, from the garment design process and packaging to technical solutions, looping the resources in a never-ending cycle, instead of one-time use.
To win, the innovation should have the potential to make fashion circular and to scale. Other criteria are novelty, that the idea is economically sustainable, and that the innovation team is committed to making a difference.
You must own all rights connected to the idea submitted. Do not send critical unprotected details. Instead, focus on the bigger picture in your application. By entering the Challenge, the plan and other information expressed or included in the Entry may be viewed by the public and risk being copied by third parties.
Who can apply:
- Any individual or group of up to 4 people over 18 years of age anywhere in the world, as well as institutions, organizations and social business.
- Commercial entities are NOT eligible.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
Funding: between EUR 150’000 and EUR 300’000.
Timeline of the call:
- Early Bird Deadline (not obligatory): 18 September 2019 at 23:00 GMT
- Call Deadline: 16 October 2019 at 23:00 GMT
- Interviews (upon invitation): December 2019
- Award Ceremony: April 2020
- One-year Innovation Accelerator Program: 02.04.2020 – 02.04.2021
- H&M Foundation, KTH and Accenture will shortlist 20 applications.
- In December 2019, H&M Foundation will interview the shortlisted applicants and select 15 finalists.
- An International expert panel will pick the 5 winners, who are formally approved by the board of the H&M Foundation in January 2020.
For more information and application, please have a look at the call webpage, FAQs, Terms & Conditions and Privacy Notice, press release and past winners.