[ ERA-NET BiodivERsA+ | Research funding on Supporting the protection of biodiversity and ecosystems across land and sea ]
BiodivERsA is a network of 45 national and regional funding organisations, including Switzerland (via the SNSF), promoting pan-European research on biodiversity and ecosystem services, and offering innovative opportunities for the conservation and sustainable management of biodiversity. BiodivERsA is funded under the Horizon 2020 ERA-NET COFUND scheme.
The 2021-2022 joint call focuses on “Supporting the protection of biodiversity and ecosystems across land and sea”. This call aims to support transnational research projects (3-years duration) addressing one or more of the three (non-exclusive) themes below:
- THEME 1 – Knowledge for identifying priority conservation areas, establishing effective and resilient ecological networks, enhancing species-based protection and preserving genetic diversity
- THEME 2 – Multiple benefits and costs of biodiversity and ecosystem protection: synergies and trade-offs
- THEME 3 – Effective management and equitable governance to deliver bold conservation outcome
Who can apply:
- Teams from at least 3 different participating countries (at least 2 EU and associated countries), supported by at least 3 different Funding Organisations. Use the BiodivERsA Partner Search Tool to look for a partner.
- Swiss-based applicants: all Swiss applicants and co-applicants must be eligible for SNSF Project Funding (see EPFL Instructions for SNSF Project Funding).
- Consortium partners: partners based outside of Switzerland. They must apply for funding via their national funding agency.
For Swiss-based applicants and co-applicants:
- proposals with overlapping funding periods with ongoing SNSF grants are only approved if the research projects pursue different goals in the context of this programme.
- Swiss applicants may participate in at most one BiodivERsA proposal.
- The SNSF exclusively funds research conducted for purposes that are not directly commercial.
Duration: 36 months.
The SNSF has reserved a total of EUR 1’830’000 for this call. There is no limit to the requested budget per Partner and/or per Project. Please note that the aim of the call is to fund medium size projects (typically project of 1.2-1.5M€ on average). However, this does not constitute a formal limit, but an indication.
The eligible costs are the same as for SNSF Project Funding (see EPFL Instructions for SNSF Project Funding). VAT should be included in your budget. Do NOT include overheads.
If interested, please contact [email protected] to verify your eligibility for the call.
SNSF contact person: Dr. Stéphanie Wyss, [email protected], +41 31 308 22
Deadline for pre-proposals (mandatory): 30 November 2021 at 15:00 CET
Deadline for full proposals: 14 April 2022 at 16:00 CET
Note: Swiss-based applicants must submit pre-proposals and proposals via mySNF at the same deadline as the consortium applications.
For further information, please have a look at the call webpage, the call document, the Funding Organisations rules and the pre-proposal template.