[JOINT CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST 2020: LIVING LABS AND TESTBEDS FOR ENERGY ]
The European Joint Programming Platform ERA-Net Smart Energy Systems (JPP ERA- Net SES) launched a Call for Expression of Interest 2020 for Living Labs and Testbeds for Energy.
Beyond the funding of transnational research, development and demonstration (RDD) projects, the JPP ERA-Net SES has the goal to accelerate the development of transnational innovation ecosystems by initiating a Transnational Validation Network with existing and future Living Labs and Testbeds, allowing innovative companies / developers to test and validate their technological or service solutions in real-life settings.
In the context of this Call, Living Labs are considered as user-centred and open innovation ecosystems often operating in a territorial context (e.g. city, region), integrating concurrent research and innovation processes (co-creation), potentially relying on a public-private-people partnership. Living Labs are expected to support the energy system developers with validation capabilities related to customer/user value of a new service and/or business model design, among others. Testbeds are understood in this Call as technological testing, piloting and demo-infrastructures which are connected to a real-life energy system. Testbeds are expected to support the energy system developers with validation capabilities related to technical feasibility and/or interoperability of new technological innovations, among others.
The partners of the Transnational Validation Network and their offerings will be promoted through the matchmaking and communication channels of the JPP ERA-Net SES. The Living Labs and Testbeds may seek to be partners in the project consortia that will apply for financing from the programme or offer services to the projects. The next Joint Call for Project Financing is dedicated to unleashing the potential of digital transformation for the energy transition and will open in September 2020. The new projects financed through this joint call are expected to start by the end of 2021.
The Living Lab or Testbed needs to fulfil with the following basic criteria:
- needs to be connected to a real-life energy system.
- should provide either a technical infrastructure OR an engaged group of customers/users open to new energy services (number of customers given) OR both.
- has an objective that is in line with the goals of the JPP ERA-Net SES and its concept for the Transnational Validation Network.
- shall have a point of contact and a responsible organisation, i.e., an organisation that has a mandate to represent the Living Lab or Testbed.
- has, at least, one potential legal signatory, i.e., an organisation that can commit to a contract.
- the value that the Living Lab or Testbed is able to provide for the validation of energy innovations to be tested, shall be defined and described.
Note: There is another Call for Expressions of Interest for Digital Platform Providers open simultaneously with this call. Participation in both calls is allowed and both roles, i.e., partner in the Validation Network and a listed Digital Platform Provider, are possible for a single organisation if the qualification criteria for both are met.
Advisory period: 4 - 18 June 2020
Deadline for submission of Expression of Interest: 30 June 2020, 16:00 (CET)
Submission of Expressions of Interest
Use this online form.
For further information and advice, please have a look at the call webpage or contact the Support Team of the JPP ERA-Net SES Coordination.