[ SERI | Exchange of young researchers with South Korea ]
The State Secretariat for Education, Research and Innovation (SERI) has commissioned ETHZ as Leading House for bilateral research collaboration with the National Research Foundation (NRF) of the Republic of Korea in all scientific disciplines.
ETHZ (as the Swiss Leading House) and the NRF jointly fund the exchange of early career scientists between South Korea and Switzerland. The call is expected to fund 9 fellowships from each side.
The instrument funds 3-month research stays in any disciplines:
- In South Korea for Swiss-based researchers (apply via ETHZ).
- In Switzerland for Korean researchers (apply via NRF).
Who can apply:
- Swiss-based applicants: Doctoral and early career postdoctoral students from Swiss universities, universities of applied sciences and public research institutes. With due justification, Master’s students and postdocs are also eligible.
- Host researcher in South Korea: must be full-time employed principal investigators at a university or research institute in South Korea.
- Applicants based in Japan, who are interested in a research stay in Switzerland, must apply via NRF.
- Applicants should be motivated to spend part of their later scientific career abroad.
Who cannot apply:
- Applicants with Korean nationality cannot be considered for stays in Korea.
- Maintenance allowance: KRW 2’500’000 a month for 3 months
- International air ticket of max. KRW 2’500’000.
- Two-steps application process: applications that do not follow the compulsory two steps, and/nor respect the one single pdf document guideline will be automatically dismissed (check out the call guidelines).
- NOTE: The application shall include a) Completed research plan, b) Supporting letter from the Swiss supervisor and c) Acceptance letter from the South Korean host supervisor.
Timeline of the call:
- Deadline: 30 June 2021
- Decision: early October 2021
- Earliest start: mid-November 2021
- Latest end: 31 October 2022
For more information and application, have a look at the call website (incl. testimonials of former fellows), online application form and the call guidelines.