[ SNSF - European Interest Group CONCERT-Japan | Research funding ]
The European Interest Group Concert-Japan is launching its 8th joint call for proposals on the theme of Sustainable Hydrogen Technology as Affordable and Clean Energy. The European Interest Group (EIG) CONCERT-Japan is an international joint initiative to support and enhance science, technology and innovation (STI) cooperation between European countries and Japan. For Switzerland, the SNSF is the funding agency.
This call for proposals invites Japan and Europe-based researchers to develop more efficient, reliable, flexible and clean hydrogen-based technologies.
As a part of this call, researchers are expected to explore areas of research such as:
- Hydrogen Production (different mechanisms for water splitting – renewable, electrolysis, biological (fermentation), … )
- Manufacturing (fabrication methods for continuous process: scalability, cost-reduction, reliability, sensors integration, quality control, … )
- Hydrogen Storage and transportation (physical-based: gas, liquid, …; materials-based: absorbent, organichydride, metalhydride …; models, … )
- Technology applications and validation (transport, power generation, hydrogen fuel cells (catalyst, electrolytes, electrodes, models, …), heating and cooling … )
- Systems Modelling and Analysis (performance models, aging and degradation models, life cycle analysis, financial analysis, required infrastructures, lab pilots, … )
Cross-sectoral research proposals combining natural and social sciences are welcomed.
Who can apply:
- International consortia composed of at least three eligible principal investigators, one from Japan and two from two different European countries participating in the joint call.
- Each project consortium should choose two (2) project leaders, one from the Japanese side and one from the European side. One of the two project leaders (the “principal project leader”) will be responsible for submitting the proposal on behalf of the whole consortium.
- Swiss-based applicants: must be eligible for SNSF Project Funding (see EPFL Instructions for SNSF Project Funding). The SNSF exclusively funds research conducted for non-commercial purposes. Please contact [email protected] to verify your eligibility for the call. In case of several overlapping SNSF projects, all projects must significantly distinguish themselves from each other.
- Swiss applicants are advised to contact the respective National Contact Points in order to check who is eligible to apply and what costs are eligible before submitting the complete application
Funding & Duration: max. CHF 250’000 for 36 months (for this call, the SNSF has allocated EUR 675’000).
Timeline of the call:
- Deadline for proposals: 9 July 2021 at 10:00 CEST.
- Publication of results: December 2021.
- Start of the projects: April 2022
Applications must be submitted by the call deadlines via both the EIG CONCERT-Japan online submission tool and mySNF.
For further information, please have a look at the call webpage, call document (incl. instructions for Swiss-based applicants at page 36), guidelines for applicants and EIG CONCERT-Japan online submission tool.