[ SNSF - Sino-Swiss Joint Research Programme | Research funding ]
In the context of the Sino-Swiss Science and Technology Cooperation (SSSTC), the SNSF is launching a second call for Joint Research Projects (JRPs) together with National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) to support collaborations between researchers in Switzerland and China in the following research fields:
- Chemical Sciences
- Life Sciences
- Management Sciences
- Health Sciences
The SNSF will evaluate the applications together with NSFC. Up to 15 projects may be funded. The SNSF will cover the costs incurred in the Swiss part of the project, and NSFC the costs for the research conducted in China. The total budget available in Switzerland is CHF 5,250,000. The maximum budget available for the Swiss side of a project is CHF 350,000 for a 4-year project. The total budget available in China is RMB 45,000,000. The maximum budget available for the Chinese side of a project is RMB 3,000,000 for a 4 year project.
Who can apply:
- At least one main applicant based in Switzerland and one based in China. Other applicants and project partners based in Switzerland and/or China can also participate.
- Swiss-based applicants: natural persons employed at a Swiss university, a Swiss university of applied sciences or an institution of the ETH Domain. They must be eligible for SNSF Project Funding (ref. EPFL Instructions for SNSF Project Funding). Swiss applicants can apply for this call even if they hold or have applied for other SNSF grants.
- Applicants based in China: Please refer to the NSFC call for specific rules and regulations.
- All main and other applicants may only submit one application per call.
Funding & Duration:
- Max. CHF 350’000 for 4 years (for the Swiss part).
- Eligible costs for Swiss-based applicants: personnel costs, material costs, access to infrastructure costs, open research data, conferences and workshops, international cooperation and networking. With regard to international travel and subsistence, the overall principle is that airfare and insurance will be covered under the funded budget of the sending country, while accommodation, meals, subsistence, and local travel will be paid by the country hosting the visit. Overhead costs are not admissible. To prepare your budget, you can use the EPFL Budget Calculator for SNSF Project Funding.
- For your Data Management Plan (DMP), use the cost calculator to estimate your data management costs
Timeline of the call:
- Pre-registration: 21 May 2021 (interested researchers are invited to create a draft application in mySNF before 21 May 2021, indicating the discipline and topic of their project (Basic Data I and II). Pre-registration is strongly encouraged but NOT COMPULSORY.
- Switzerland: 18 June 2021 at 17:00 CEST
- China: 21 June 2021 at 16:00 local time
- Submission: Proposals are to be jointly prepared by the Swiss and Chinese applicants. They must be submitted by the Swiss main applicant to the SNSF mySNF.
- Starting date for the JRP in China: 1 January 2022
- Starting date for the JRP in Switzerland: between 1 January and 30 June 2022
For further information, please have a look at the call webpage, the call document and the EPFL Toolkit for project funding.
If you have any questions, please contact [email protected].