[ ERA-NET CHIST-ERA | Research funding on Machine Learning-based AI and computational approaches to Environmental Sustainability ]
The CHIST-ERA ERA-NET is a consortium of research funding organisations supporting joint transnational research on multidisciplinary long-term Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) and ICT-based challenges with the potential to lead to significant breakthroughs. The consortium is supported by the EU’s FET programme.
Every year, the participating funding organisations (incl. SNSF) launch annual calls to support high risk, high impact transnational projects.
The 2019 Call promotes projects on:
- Explainable Machine Learning-based Artificial Intelligence (XAI)
- Novel Computational Approaches for Environmental Sustainability (CES)
Applications should follow and address the SNSF policies on open access and open data.
Who can apply:
- International consortia composed of researchers from at least 3 different participating countries (with minimum 2 EU Member States and EU Associated Countries). Consortia are encouraged to include partners from enlargement countries or non-EU countries participating in European research programmes. Additional partners from other countries may be part of a consortium if they can secure their own funding. The standard consortium size is 3-6 partners.
- Swiss-based applicants: all Swiss applicants must be eligible for SNSF Project Funding (see EPFL Instructions for SNSF Project Funding). Please contact [email protected] to verify your eligibility for the call.
Look for partners using the Partner Search Tool.
For Swiss-based applicants and co-applicants:
- In case of several overlapping SNSF projects, all projects must be thematically different.
- Swiss applicants may participate in at most one CHIST-ERA proposal.
- The SNSF exclusively funds research conducted for purposes that are not directly commercial.
- Depends on the country-specific regulations (each partner is funded separately by the national/regional funding).
- The SNSF has allocated CHF 1M for 3-5 projects for this call. For EPFL applicants: use the Budget Calculator available in the EPFL Toolkit for SNSF Project Funding.
- At most 60% of the total requested funding may be requested by partners from one country.
- At most 40% of the total requested funding may be requested by a single partner.
Timeline of the call:
- Launch of the call: 1 December 2019
- Deadline for pre-proposals: at 17:00 CET
- Notification of acceptance pre-proposals: April 2020
- Deadline for full proposals (by invitation): June 2020
- Decision: October 2020
- Earliest start of the project: 1 December 2020
Note: Swiss-based applicants must submit pre-proposals and proposals via mySNF.
For further information, please have a look at the call webpage, call guidelines (including, at page 59, specific information for Swiss-based applicants), application form, financial template and online application portal.