MT180: Public Selections
The selections of the contest My Thesis in 180 seconds (MT180) will be held on Wednesday 25 January, Tuesday 31 January and Friday 3 February 2023 face-to-face (not remote). For each participant, the goal is to present his or her research in simple, straightforward terms in 3 minutes before an audience. This is thus an exercise in popularizing the thesis and explaining it, in French or English, in a clear, concise and compelling manner – all with the support of a single slide !
The public is welcome to listen and encourage the candidates during the selections and nominate his/her favourite candidate. A prize of CHF 200 will be awarded after each selection session (12 January,m 18 January and 4 February) to the candidate selected by the public. Fourteen participants will be selected following the sessions for the EPFL Final which will take place on 30 March 2023.
The selections are not recorded or broadcast live to the public. Only the public on site can vote for the selections.
Opening of doors for the public:
- 12:00 to 12:15 - be on time ! Doors are closing at 12:15
Running Order - Selection 31 January
- Evangelos Belias, «Integrating indoor-outdoor environment perspectives in buildings' ventilation design and operation», Human-Oriented Built Environement Lab (Prof. Dusan Licina), English
- Armand Kurum, «Cancer biomechanics in immunotherapy», Biomaterials for Immunoengineering Lab (Prof. Li Tang), English
- Sara Behjati, «Designing DNA wrapped single-walled carbon nanotube optical biosensor for cancer biomarker detection», Nanobiotechnology Lab (Prof. Ardemis Boghossian), English
- Julius Winter, «Mitochondria translocate via distinct transport modes», Expertimental Biophysics Lab (Prof. Suliana Manley), English
- Belén Yu Irureta-Goyena, «Identifying Moving Objects in Astronomical Surveys Using Artificial Intelligence», Astrophysics Lab (Prof. Jean-Paul Kneib), English
- Ali Reza Manzoori, «Towards assisting strategies for lower limb exoskeletons applied to stroke rehabilitation», Biorobotics Lab (Dr Mohamed Bouri, Prof. Auke Ijspeert), English
- Anita Bodac, «Targeting innate immunity aging to fight lung cancer», Labo Approches moléculaires du vivant (Prof. Freddy Radtke), Français
- Outman Akouissi, «Advanced peripheral nerve interfaces», Chaire Fondation Bertarelli en neuro-ingénierie translationnelle (Prof. Silvestro Micero et Stéphanie Lacour), Français
- Nils Kalbfuss, «Dissecting centriole fate during C. elegans development», Cell and Developmental Biology Lab (Prof. Pierre Gönczy), English
- Hnat Lesiv, «Modeling of walls built with concrete demolition waste», Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics Lab (Prof. Katrin Beyer), English
- Gaetan Raynaud, «Characterization and control of slender flexible structures interacting with flows», Labo de diagnostic des écoulements instationnaires (Prof. Karen Mulleners), Français
- Sophie Gorno, «Power exhaust performance of baffled snowflake divertor», Swiss Plasma Center (Prof. Christian Theiler), English
- General public
- Service de promotion des sciences / Science Outreach Departement