EPFL shapes Open Science | Open Access: Which Way Forward?
The Open Science office launches the first event of its new series "EPFL Shapes Open Science":
Open Access: Which Way Forward?
An interactive event to address the current issues in Open Access academic publishing and rethink together the way we share our work to the world, organized in collaboration with the EPFL library.
At the moment, in research, the key to success lies in which journal one publishes in. Journal names have become a replacement for the quality of our work, leading us to prioritize their reputation over their commitment to open access.
Can we trust the content of an article because it's published in a prestigious journal though? And if we genuinely value sharing the knowledge we produce, should we leave it to external entities to control its dissemination? Who exactly owns our publications, and how much does this entire system cost us?
Come to this event to find out, join the discussion and share your voice!
- Introduction by VPA Jan Hesthaven.
- Short documentary explaining the current state of Open Access in Switzerland and exposing three scenarios for the future.
- Vote from the audience for one of the three Open Access Scenarios.
- Roundtable discussion tackling these three possible ways forward and what they entail for researchers, moderated by Mirko Bischofberger and starring:
- Katrin Beyer, ENAC Professor and Associate Dean for Digitalization and Open Science
- Bob West, IC Professor
- Abdullah Talayhan, IC PhD student
- Gilles Dubochet, Head of Open Science
- Claudio Aspesi, External Consultant and Expert Analyst in academic publishing
- Second round of votes from the audience.
- Conclusive remarks by VPA Jan Hesthaven.
- General public
- Registration required
- VPA- Open Science